Thursday, September 27, 2007

Nan Kempner's Garage Sale

From the New York Daily News:

A chunk of New York fashion history goes on display tonight at Christie's in midtown. Sixty outfits worn by the late Nan Kempner are being shown ahead of their Oct 2. sale, which will benefit the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. The ensembles, some dating back to the 1960s, reflect every famous name in fashion from Oscar de la Renta and Yves Saint Laurent to Calvin Klein and Manolo Blahnik.


Nan Kempner, who passed away in July, was a New York City socialite, famous for dominating society events, shopping, charity work and fashion. She was also outspoken - and the following quotes are attributed to her (from Wikipedia):

"I wouldn't miss the opening of a door."
"The only plastic I want is plastic surgery!"
"I want to be buried naked, I know there's a store where I'm going."
"I loathe fat people."


Toward the end of her life, it has been reported Nan had most of the rooms in her Park Avenue apartment converted into walk-in closets, to house all of her clothes and shoes.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...