Friday, November 28, 2008

Oregonians Run Haters Out Of Town

This is a story I meant to wright about a while ago, but never got around to it. While Barack Obama was becoming the first African-American president, Stu Rasmussen (below) became the America's first Transgender Mayor.


Stu Rasmussen had been mayor of Silverton, Oregon twice before - but he was still living in the closet and wearing men's clothes. This time around, he proudly dressed as a woman, and beat incumbent Mayor Ken Hector by 13 percentage points.

The residents of Silverton seem to love Mayor Rasmussen, and they displayed this love recently. The idiots from the Westboro Baptist "Church" decided to come to town from Kansas and "speak some words of truth to this 60-year-old pervert" (according to their website). I have posted about these fuckwads before (HERE and HERE).

So four Westboro losers show up in the middle of Silverton to teach the "pervert" a lesson. They stand on American flags (God hates America because of all us fags) and hold up their signs saying "Barack Obama=AntiChrist", "God Hates You", and "Fag Media Shame".


And guess what these idiots found? From Towleroad:

"The counterprotesters were waiting across the two-lane street -- men in skirts and boots, moms with babes in arm, lifelong Silverton residents alongside kids playing hooky from Salem schools. The crowd of about 150 waved and drummed and hugged. Their signs, homemade, hurriedly produced on office laser printers and painted on the back of campaign yard signs, focused on the positive. 'My love is bigger than your hate,' read one. 'We love Stu (and so does God).' 'Everyone is welcome in Silverton.' "


Silverton, Oregon - you officially ROCK. This is the kind of stuff that makes me proud to be an American.



Read the entire story (with video) from Towleroad HERE.

13 comments:

Romance said...

OMG Stu has a kick ass rack... I am officially jealous...

What is with all the hate... As a business owner I show my love with my hires and the vendors I do business with....

Trans, queer ... definitely on my team!!!

Unknown said...

Wow, i had no idea Oregon was so cool.

Joie Mayfield said...

Way to go Silverton! :) I lost a lot of my blog entries, and I had written some on Weststupid Baptist Church. I'm proud that some citizens see the true person, and not a gender.

the dogs' mother said...

I went and looked at your previous posts - the one that stuns me is the one with the pictures of their children.

These people need remedial classes in humanity.

Joy said...

These people are horrible. I'm so glad they got the reception they did. Silverton rocks!

Anonymous said...

I saw a sign at the counter protest in Portland, "I seriously doubt that God hates fags" which I thought was funny. Held by a serious Daddy of the Day. David, I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Silverton rocks! A bunch of GLBT & GLBT friendlies should meet up in Topeka, KS (home of Westboro) and have a little visit of our own.
Stu thank you for your bravery.

Wonder Man said...

It's sad, but a great story

Renee said...

I adore this sign: My love is bigger than your hate

Anonymous said...

I want to live there. Keep your damned hate in your own backyard! Better yet, shove it up your woo-hoo.

Unknown said...

Just simply beautiful story for Thanksgiving.

Mark in DE said...

Oregon: the model for the rest of the states.

Mark :-)

Anonymous said...

The Phelp patriarch is a closeted case for sure! Why does he preach hate against a minority while he could preach love to everyone? I do not think it's a question of morality, it is a matter convenience. I do not think that the jerks who voted for Prop. 8 did that out of morality, they just don't like gays, especially what they do in bed. And that a shame!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...