Sunday, August 2, 2009

JCPenney Opens In Manhattan


Manhattan's first JCPenney opened on Friday, and I stopped by to see what I could see.

I became a JCPenney's shopper through Mama Bunny. There was a JCPenney store in my town - and Mom always took me there to buy school clothes (she even worked in the Catalog Department during a few Christmas seasons). I liked that Penney's didn't have a "Husky" Department for boys per se, like that evil horrible OTHER store of my childhood - Montgomery Ward. I always HATED when Mom dragged me into "Wards" for husky-size pants and those cheap-ass sneakers they sold. JCPenney's always seemed like a better shopping experience for me as a child - so I've remained loyal.

Anywhore, the Manhattan branch of JCP was crowded on the first day - despite torrential downpours outside. They have taken over the lower two floors of the Manhattan Mall - completely erasing all remnants of the Food Court (and of Manhattan's only Arby's). Sniff ... sniff ... I promised myself I wouldn't cry ...


JCPenney's doesn't have delicious roast beef, but they DO have ...


... a men's "Big and Tall" section. Believe it or not, no other department store in Manhattan has a section for Fat Boy clothes (not Bloomindales, not Lord & Taylor, and not even the gigantic flagship Macy's one block away). I guess it's not cool to cater to lard asses.

I found this other section ....


... which also made me feel right at home. :)

11 comments:

kayce. said...

jeez ... people were obviously craving the JCP, huh? ;D i love going to a store before the new smell wears off, tho.

the dogs' mother said...

The small town we lived in, during our times in the States, had a JCPenneys and those tubes where they would put money in a tube, it would shoot up into the second floor where some old dude with an eye shade would enter something in his ledger book. "the mill manager's kid bought bikini underwear. Light pink. Size M."

Unknown said...

My mother tended to do school clothes shopping at Sears, which had the dreaded 'husky' section, which I wore until freshman year of high school. Ugh, I hate the word husky.

JenM said...

That was one of my biggest complaints when I would go shopping with my girlfriend who lived in Manhattan at the time....where can a fat girl get some fancy duds? Damned Bloomingdales, Damned Macy's!!!! and don't even get me started about those damned sales girls...."um, yeah, we don't have anything in YOUR size"......

Adirondackcountrygal said...

Glad you got your JCP fix!

Miss Ginger Grant said...

LOL Kayce- New store smell! I know what you mean! You'd think we'd be smart enough to figure out how to pump it into the airconditiong so they would all smell that way.
David: one other thing you will love about the "casual bottoms".... check the tags.... they are all IMPORTED!!!!!

Beth said...

I think JC Penney has great stuff at a reasonable price. Our dining room table is from Penney's, and it's nice and solid and pretty and didn't cost an arm and a leg! Happy shopping! XOXO Beth

Unknown said...

WONDER WHAT I WOULD FIND IN CASUAL BOTTOMS?

mrs.missalaineus said...

i had to wear husky pants when i was little and i was a *girl*. sears had them as well as the 'pretty plus' which was husky dresses for girls.

at least now they have apple bottom jeans! gawd bless nelly! even though i dont own a pair, if i did i know they would fit right!

xxalainaxx

Unknown said...

Casual Bottoms. Fucking hilarious!

But it's funny. you moving to NY, then shopping @ JCP. That souunds sorta backwards.

Mark in DE said...

"casual bottoms" - LOL!!! You always make me laugh.

XOXOXOXOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...