Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Childhood Memories: Japanese TV Shows


On Monday I took a personal trip down memory lane with a POST about two of my fave childhood TV series - Shazam! and The Secrets of Isis. Well, today I'm doing it again. So if you have absolutely no interest in cheesy Japanese children shows about robots and aliens from the 1960's - then you may want to skip this post.

All three of these shows were produced in Japan and then had English dubbed over the Japanese dialogue. This sometimes made the English dialogue hysterical, although I didn't realize it as a child. I was too mesmerized by the storylines and ... cough cough ... the "special effects".

First up is Ultraman. Ultraman was created in 1966 by the same people who created the original Godzilla movies, so they always featured some dude in a monster suit (sometimes a spray-painted Godzilla suit) wrecking the hell out of a model of Tokyo. And as you will see in the clip below, the fight scenes are kinda funny - with mocking, water-splashing and even tickling between Ultraman and the monster...



But Ultraman used to give me a damn heart attack every time I watched it as a kid. Ya see, Ultraman needed the Sun's rays to survive (or somesuch), and for whatever reason he couldn't get enough on Earth. So after a little bit of fighting with the monster of the day, Ultraman's "warning light" would start blinking (like an overheating car engine). And if Ultraman didn't wrap things up and high-tail it outta there he would die. And EVERY episode I was convinced Ultraman was going to bite the big one. I guess I was a childhood pessimist.

Next up is The Space Giants. This was a show about a Japanese kid who had this whistle thingy that could summon three robots who could turn into rockets: Goldar (Daddy robot), Silvar (Mama robot), and Gam (Kid robot).



I totally wished I was that little boy with the whistle. I so wanted to summon my fierce robot/rocket friends anytime I had trouble with a classmate or when Mama Bunny got on my nerves.

Finally, we have my favorite - Johnny Sokko and His Giant Robot. Johnny controlled the Giant Robot by talking into his Timex watch. And the Robot obeyed all Johnny's commands. Plus, Robot had some fierce Vogue moves he used when he was fighting the evil Guillotine and his minions - and he also had fingernails which turned into missiles...



Giant Robot was like a fierce metallic SUPER DRAG QUEEN! But the saddest day of my childhood came when those bastards KILLED THE GIANT ROBOT. I cried when I watched this clip again while doing this post - almost as hard as I did as a kid ...



Yes, I know I'm old - but that's what us old people do ... talk about "the olden days" and about fierce Japanese dragbots...

12 comments:

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

DAMN I WAS GON SAY VR TROOPERS FROM THE EARLY 90S!

V R

V R

V R!

TROOPERS TRAIN!

VIRTUAL REALITY!


SORRY I HAD TO SING IT

Big Mark 243 said...

Another show I have tangible memories of. I would watch Johnny Sokko on TV 20 WXON in Detroit growing up.

You are right about the fierce Vogue moves ... he had to do something to fire those missles from his finger tips and his cum - er, power punch had a funky move to it as well!!

Jason Messinger said...

Great Blast from the Past! I loved this stuff!!!

Unknown said...

I was young, but i loved Space Giants.

Anonymous said...

How about Battle of the Planets? That was a huge favourite of mine!

David Dust said...

Della - I was drinking in the early 90's! You are too damn young!!

Kevin - I forgot about Battle of the Planets! Thanks for reminding me.

XOXOXOXOXO

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

I WAS BORN IN 89 HONEY.

David Dust said...

Della -

Ack!!! 1989?!?!? Lord, I became legal to drink in 1988! I am old enough to be your damn father!!

Somone just put me in the Nursing Home now...

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...

Well if it makes it any easier on you.....im having a rough time in my life right now. That should ease ur pain...at least im not a fun loving carefree 20 year old.

David Dust said...

Della -

I'm sorry to hear you're going through a rough time. But try to enjoy as much as you can - you will only be in your 20's once.

Hang in there...

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Peter Maria said...

Did you ever watch an animated show called "G Force"? I was in lurrrvvve with the race car driver, and totally didn't think it was wrong to crush on a freaking cartoon character.

Beth said...

I've got a few years on you, David, so I don't think your reminiscences are a bad thing at all! ;) XOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...