Monday, October 26, 2009

The Shazam!/Isis Hour


Dlisted recently reminded me about two of my favorite childhood Saturday Morning TV shows - Shazam! and The Secrets of Isis.


Shazam! came first (in 1974) - and it starred the incredibly cute Michael Gray (above). I might have been too young to know the reason why - but I NEVER wanted to miss seeing Michael and his tights-wearing, muscular alter-ego - Captain Marvel (who was played by some beefy dude).


Then in 1975 the show became The Shazam!/Isis Hour when it combined with spinoff The Secrets of Isis for one big gay hour of children's television.


As a child, I could never decide if I liked Shazam! or Isis better. Shazam! had the hotties, but Isis had the fierce jewels and outfits. If they just would have figured out a way for Michael Gray to wear Isis's glamorous headpiece and mini-skirt, it would have been gayperfect.

14 comments:

Wonder Man said...

loved Isis, she was the another WW for me

mikeinbama said...

I loved that show as a kid.

Anonymous said...

What a great blast from the past!

Shazam! and Isis are two of those things that lie on the periphery of memory until something pulls it front and centre.

Love it!

Anonymous said...

I loved both of these shows also. Ah childhood memories.

mrs.missalaineus said...

see now i know i was deprived as a child because i never saw this stuff.

xxalainaxx

Joy said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but I had to tell you about this experience in NOLA. Our carriage driver Brendan during his commentary mentioned the gay bars and said we could tell that because of the rainbow flags on them. Then he said something about how we didn't want to be there during Labor Day weekend when all the gays were there. I said, "Oh, Southern Decadence?"

He was visibly surprised and said he'd have bet anything that I didn't know what that was. I told him I have a lot of gay friends who had told me about it and that he couldn't judge people by how they look.

Miss Ginger Grant said...

Go Auntie Flame!! We love you!

David Dust said...

Auntie Flame -

Awesome. I am doing a blog post about this tomorrow am.

XOXOXOXOXO

NancyMcD said...

Awesome!!

Peter Maria said...

Well, my decision was easy: I wanted to BE Isis, and I wanted Cap. Marvel to BE mine. I distinctly remember playing Isis on the grade school playground; no wonder I was a target.

Unknown said...

Never seen the show, but Shazam looks hot. When i saw this post, i thougt i was on Wonderman's Blog.

RAD said...

OMG-- Good mems! Shazam and the ol Mighty Isis! :-)

Mark in DE said...

I wish I would have known you as a kid!

Aman Chaudhary said...

They are showing all of Isis on Hulu now. It is the best thing ever! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...