Sunday, June 13, 2010

Gaga/Madonna - Tribute or Something Else???


I saw this great video over at Daventry Blue, and thought I'd post it as well.  It shows many of the similarities between Lady Gaga's videos and Madonna's work - I had no idea there were so many.

Now before you Gaga Monsters start screaming "I'M SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE SAYING LADY GAGA RIPS OFF MADONNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" - just chill out.  I'm a reformed Gaga fan, so I have no agenda here.

What do YOU think - is Lady Gaga's career one big tribute to The Material Girl, or has she crossed over into plagiarism territory??




BTW - I LOVE the Madonna song which accompanies this video. It's so ironic in this context.

4 comments:

Sam said...

I promise not to use CAPS either. Sis is it only me that understands that if you look close enough you will see that not even Madodo had an original idea.
Madodo is a straight rip off of all those before her. Cher being the biggest contributor to Madodo's evolving look and clothing choices.
Maybe I'm older than some of the readers out there but does anyone remember Elton John, David Bowie, or Prince and their fashion madness?
To your question, yes she has been influenced by Madodo, ripping her off? WHO FUCKING CARES? Just enjoy the music and her performances.
What was the question again?
XOXOXO

David Dust said...

Dearest Sis -

FYI - you used caps. :)

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I DO think the similarities are uncanny, but I'm not sure I would call them plagiarism. On the one end there are a few scenes that are clearly homage, and that's a respectable genre. On the other end, there are a few scenes where common camera angles, hairstyles, and dance move come together, perhaps more from sameness than plagiarism. And then somewhere in the middle is Tug's point that video producers seem to rehash the same concepts and imagery over and over again.

If video killed the radio star, than it will be ubiquity that kills the video star!

But as long as the public keeps buying it, maybe not.....

Sam said...

Sorry Sis. Just pissed that those banging the drum on this played out debate, are to young and dont remember some of the oddball shit aka art that has been done before.
Oh I forgot to mention Boy George. Do you remember the first time you seen his videos? Now that ho was an original.
But this will probably fire up another debate. Boy George was just a fierce drag queen that crossed over.
Anyho I just wanted to apologize for capping your ass when I promised not to.
Hope you are feeling better ho!
Love Sis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...