Sunday, June 13, 2010

Papi Chulo Part I - by Emanuel Xavier


When I look into your papi chulo eyes
I see happiness and joy


the Christ-child con los tres reyes magos
& bags full of toys


for the first time noticing
the beauty of brightly lit bodegas
against cobalt skies


the subway smiles of homeless mothers
watching two men kiss quick secret good-byes
walking away from each other


banjee boys on their way home
forbidden love glistening in their souls
like the melted candles and whispered prayers
from altars glowing late at night


in the barrios of a sleepless city
-still prejudiced and cold
(to be continued...)


I will be using more of Papi Chulo by the talented, out-and-proud "Nuyorican" poet Emanuel Xavier (pictured below) for future posts, but go HERE to read the entire work if you can't wait.  You can also check out Xavier's official website HERE.



2 comments:

Miss Ginger Grant said...

I like the red panties and the big beefy blue panties the best.

BTW.. when are we going to the Urges again? I'm getting the urge!!

David Dust said...

Girl -

I have the urge like you wouldn't believe!! You get your butt up here, and we'll go.

XOXOXOXO

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...